Forums » CLB Quê Choa

m." Notes: The Whitecaps honoured retired de

• 1240 posts
    June 18, 2017 8:37 PM PDT

The last six months have been a whirlwind for Kevin Dineen. Mens Adidas NEO Shoes . In October he was coaching the NHLs Florida Panthers. But after being fired in November, he was named the Canadian womens team coach and guided the squad to a stirring fourth straight Olympic title in Sochi, Russia. Dineen is now with a third team, preparing the Canadian under-18 mens squad to defend its world title in Finland. "Its been (a whirlwind) but you know what, its a hockey life," Dineen said. "You have tough times with the lows, you get fired and its an emotional deal. "As I told the women before the gold medal game, I knew the day I was hired I had to be on my toes and it was kind of like someone lit a match under my fanny. I just really enjoyed that whole process. You never know how those things are going to end. "Just like this one, you dont know. Weve got to have some luck and have some things work in our favour but its not always about the ending. Its about the ride youre on, it really is." The 50-year-old Quebec City native will have plenty of international experience at his disposal when Canada begins its title defence Thursday against Sweden in Imatra, Finland. Thirteen players on the roster participated in last years under-17 World Hockey Challenge in Quebec while eight skated in this years under-17 event in Cape Breton, N.S. And nine players helped Canada win gold at the Ivan Hlinka tournament last summer. However, Dineens biggest challenge is quickly moulding his players into a tightly knit team. "Yes there are challenges like having to gel and find some chemistry in a timely manner," he said. "A lot of the European teams have been together for a while and the Americans are centralized all year so those teams have an advantage. "But thats what makes it fun putting this team together. These boys are really excited to represent Canada and that works in our favour. Theyre sharp kids." And big, with 14 players being six feet or taller. But its still a team, Dineen says, that can excel on the larger international ice surface. "Even though I talk about our size, that does not in any way take away from our skill," Dineen said. "I think were a team that has some skill and I believe we can compete with any team. "That makes it enjoyable to have those guys who can play the game anyway we need to play to have success." Dineen is familiar with international hockey. He played for Canada six times, claiming world championship silver medals in 85 and 89 and winning the 87 Canada Cup. The 19-year NHL veteran also wore the Maple Leaf at the 84 Winter Games. In December, he joined a national womens program stinging from coach Dan Churchs sudden resignation and having lost four straight pre-Olympic tuneups to the archrival United States. In Russia, Canada beat the Americans twice, including a thrilling 3-2 overtime decision in the gold medal game after trailing 2-0 late in regulation. "If you were going to ride a roller-coaster and go the top, I couldnt have done better than that," Dineen said. "I had a pretty good buzz for about three weeks after Sochi, just enjoying it and the enjoyment people got out of that tournament. "Thats a special moment for Canada and you can compound that a lot for me and the players as well." Since Sochi, Dineen has been overwhelmed by people anxious to share their Olympic experience. That includes former NHL goalie Fred Brathwaite, now an assistant coach on the under-18 squad. "He was telling me he was on Highway 401 driving to a game and couldnt watch but found it on the radio," Dineen said. "After we scored in overtime, there was like 50 people around him all honking their horns. "A fireman from Hamilton told me how they were so mad they had to leave on a call during the game and when they returned there was skiing on TV. They thought theyd missed it but it was just the holdover until overtime. The next thing you know, the whole firehouse was watching and went bonkers. "When you hear those stories -- and Ive heard literally hundreds and will never tire of anybodys story -- its pretty special. Im not afraid to share those experiences with these boys." Moose Jaw Warriors forward Brayden Point, a late cut from last years team, said Dineen has quickly made an impression on his young players. "Hes an awesome guy," said the 18-year-old Calgary native. " Hes got real good systems and hes really good with the players. "Everyone respects him a ton and its real easy to learn from him." Kingston Frontenacs defenceman Roland McKeown, a returnee from last years squad, said Dineens message is a simple one. "Hes preaching the Canadian way," McKeown said. "At the Olympics you saw how dominant the mens and womens teams were and that was doing it the Canadian way with hard work, that two-way game and everyone buying into a role. "Thats what were going to do." The six-foot-one 195-pound McKeown, an 18-year-old native of Listowel, Ont., hopes last years experience helps him become a key contributor this time. "Last year proved every guy has to take a role and buy in to win a championship," he said. "I gained a lot of experience from the guys who were here last year and want to use that to take a leadership role with this team." Dineen has taken an unplanned detour to land behind the under-18 teams bench, but hes a better coach because of it. "I coached six years in the American Hockey League and always took pride in being able to work with either veterans or young players but these guys are all young," Dineen said. "That really makes it enjoyable because theyre a good bunch. "To me, thats one of the advantages, just coming here and working with these players. Youre getting better every day and thats a good thing for me." Grey Adidas NEO Shoe .com) - SirDominic Pointer posted career highs of 24 points and seven steals to lead No. Buy Adidas NEO Shoes . In the other Group A game, the Czech Republic stunned Canada, 5-4 in a shootout. Dominik Simon scored the deciding goal in the tiebreaker. The United States scored its first three goals on power plays. "Overall, I love to see the power-play goals we were able to get tonight," said U. VANCOUVER -- Kenny Miller made good on a pressure packed do-over to keep the Vancouver Whitecaps unbeaten. Millers goal on a penalty kick in the 58th minute gave the Whitecaps a 2-1 victory over the Houston Dynamo on Saturday. He had to re-take the spot kick, after being successful on the first one, because teammate Darren Mattocks was still in the 18-yard box when Miller put the ball into the net. "It was a little tougher when youve scored the first one, and its easy after a miss," said Miller. "But sometimes that happens. It was a little bit of encroachment there. Sometimes, the referees dont make you take it again. But I was fortunate enough to put it in." The penalty kick was awarded after Houston defender Kofi Sarkodie was called for a hand ball in the box in the 56th minute. The Whitecaps improved their record to 2-0-2 in the young season before a sellout crowd of 21,000 at B.C. Place Stadium. The Dynamo (2-1-0) suffered their first loss. "I dont think you could ask for much more (to start the season)," said Miller. He scored what proved to be the winning goal as he put the hosts ahead 2-0 with his spot kick, rolling a shot into the right corner of the net. He had put his first penalty-kick attempt over Houston goalkeeper Tally Hall. "(Miller), obviously, has got a cool head (to score on) the second penalty," said Vancouver rookie head coach Carl Robinson. "The first (penalty kick) was driving me mad. I just prayed that hed put it in, and he did. Hes a very clever player and a very cool character, so Im delighted for (Miller) but delighted for all the guys." Jordan Harvey, in the 14th minute, also scored for the Whitecaps while Ricardo Clark, in the 75th, was the lone Houston marksman. "I think we got the result we deserved," said Robinson. "But we showed a lot of heart and character in todays performance." The Whitecaps effectively negated Dynamo striker Will Bruin, who had shared the MLS scoring lead after netting three goals in his clubs first two games to start the season. "I thought we did okay. We just came out on the wrong end of the result," said Houston coach Dominic Kinnear. Harvey, a left back, gave the Whitecaps a 1-0 lead as he bounced Andy OBriens header past Hall. The assist was the first point in MLS for OBrien, a central defender, who joined the Whitecaps midway through the 2012 season. The play originated off a long cross from the left flank by Pedro Morales. "I like to think I can contribute, not just with assists and things like that," said OBrien. "But Im pleased that I could contribute on the goal." After assisting on the goal, OBrien made several timely defensive plays with some key plays and a blocked cross that he took in the groin. He lay on the ground briefly but continued to play well after. Houston started with a charge and forced Whitecaps goalkeeper David Ousted to knock a Giles Barnes header over the crossbar in the first minute. Cheap Adidas NEO Shoes China. But that was the only attempt Houston put on net in the first half. Afterwards, aside from getting back-to-back corner kicks in the eighth minute -- the second of which Ousted leaped out to catch -- the Dynamo rarely penetrated a staunch Whitecaps defence. On the other hand, Hall was forced to make three saves in the first half, including two on Morales. The second stop on Morales came in stoppage time and prevented the Whitecaps from going into halftime with a bigger lead and considerable confidence. The Dynamo again attempted to get off to a strong start in the second half, but the Caps held them off fairly easily as Robinson switched to a diamond-shaped midfield that he had not used previously. "The system that we played today gave us more options when we had the ball," said OBrien. "It exposed the channel areas for (Mattocks) to run into, and hes not the guy that you want to be chasing with the ball a as a defender." Vancouvers penalty kick was awarded after Mattocks tried to deke Sarkodie a few yards inside the Houston box. Sarkodie fell and swept his arm out, getting a hand on the ball. Clark pulled the Dynamo within a goal as he headed home a Brad Davis free kick. But the Whitecaps managed to hold Houston off the scoreboard the rest of the way as Robinson made substitutions to keep his attackers fresh and the defenders and midfielders remained solid in their play. "Were going to concede goals, but its about how you bounce back and we didnt look (like we were) under any pressure," said Robinson. "They pushed time after time, and theyre a big, physical team, but while they were putting bigger players on, I was putting smaller players on." Morales, a 28-year-old Chilean midfielder who is in his first season with the Whitecaps, continued to draw rave reviews from his coach and teammates for his vision and passing ability. He now has a goal and two assists in his first four MLS career games. "Hes a joy to watch, he really is, and I think hes a joy to play with as well," said Robinson. "He just gives us a different dimension to our team." Notes: The Whitecaps honoured retired defender Y.P. Lee before the game. The former Korean international was presented with a photo of himself and his two children, taken prior to the final game of his career last season. Lee continues to live in Vancouver and works with the Whitecaps business operations while pursuing his education. a The game marked a rare time when a female official, Felisha Mariscal of Chula Vista., Calif., served as an assistant referee in an MLS contest. Mariscals brothers Apolinar (Polo) and Eduardo, who are twins, are also soccer officials. a Vancouver captain Jay DeMerit played the whole game a week after Robinson kept him at home to rest while the Caps earned a draw in Philadelphia. a Vancouver midfielder Gershon Koffie was solid in place of the injured Nigel Reo-Coker (concussion.) Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys From China Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys China NFL Cheap Jerseys ' ' '